Compensation: $98,470.00 - $53,240.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Law Enforcement
The New York Public Library has been an essential provider of free books, information, ideas, and education for all New Yorkers for more than 100 years. Founded in 1895, NYPL is the nation s largest public library system, featuring a unique combination of 88 neighborhood branches and four scholarly research centers, bringing together an extraordinary richness of resources and opportunities available to all.
The Library is seeking an accomplished and innovative leader for the position of Security Manager to oversee and coordinate the security services at the Stephen A.Schwarzman Building to ensure the safety of Library employees, guests and its assets. The successful candidate will lead the security team in creating an inviting and inclusive environment.
Under the leadership of the Director of Security, the Security Manager:
- Plans, directs, and manages the staff and operations of the Security department to provide security for all events, exhibits, and day-to-day tasks in a manner which ensures the safety of the public and protection of Library assets
- Monitors and evaluate the performance of proprietary and contract security guards to ensure all personnel are knowledgeable of Library policies and procedures, as well as able to provide excellent customer service to Library visitors and staff
- Ensure that all security staff are properly trained in emergency procedures and maintain an on-going training/retraining program in order to maintain a high level of competence
- Responsible for upkeep and maintenance of all security systems for the building; any routing work done to these systems and the installation of new equipment
- Proactively assist senior management in identifying and assessing strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, risks, vulnerabilities and threats to the Library
- Oversees the thorough investigation and reporting of all security related incidents and ensure that all matters are duly communicated to management in a timely manner
- Works in partnership with the New York Police Department and other law enforcement agencies on matters of safety and security as they relate to the Library
- Creates summaries, narratives and metrics to aid in decision making and measure the effectiveness of the branch security operations
- May be required to respond personally to alarms and/or emergencies in other NYPL facilities, including emergencies during non-scheduled hours.
- Assists with other related projects as requested
- Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, Police Science, or Security Management
- A minimum of ten years experience in corporate security or related field
- 7+ years of management experience
- Experience conducting investigations including criminal, human resources, and/or safety incidents
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships among several groups and deliver the highest level of satisfaction to NYPL s internal customers
- Solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Ability to analyze problems, determine root causes, and identify and determine results oriented solutions
- Excellent organizational and time management ability
- Must be knowledgeable and literate with computers and have sound experience with security technologies including CCTV, Access Control, Incident Management Systems and surveillance equipment
- Must be able to work flexible schedules and perform operational duties in an emergency
- Must possess a valid driver s license with an acceptable Motor Vehicle Record
- Master's Degree in Criminal Justice, Police Science, or Security Management preferred
- 10+ years experience in law enforcement
- Work Experience in Higher Education preferred
- Certified New York State security training instructor
- Fire Safety Director's License from the NYC Fire Department
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Public Service Library
- Ability to walk or stand for prolonged periods
- Limited physical effort is required
40 hours per week
Selected candidate will work 9am-5pm Monday-Friday.
Nights and Weekends may be required depending on the schedule of events.
On call 24/7
Associated topics: canine detection, countermeasure, guard, patrol officer, protect, protection, safety report, security officer, university, watchman
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...